Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Get Robbed...Not Today!

I was walking back to the homeless shelter from the Library, when two men began following me as I passed the Veterans Memorial. As I got about 2 blocks from the shelter walking down the alley I felt something hit me in the back of the head at the same time something pulling me back, it was someone trying to pull my backpack off my back. When I turned around there was two guys, which I found out later they both are homeless. One of the men yelled to me to give him my backpack and I refused. (If they would have asked for just my wallet I would have gave it to them. I created a false wallet, in case of a robbery filled with an old panther card, store cards ex: Kroger, and $2. I would have been willing to give that up knowing that I still had my real wallet.) Once I refused one of the guys pulled out a steak knife and insisted that I give it to him. I replied with no words, but I pulled out my pocket knife. There was a standoff that lasted probably 10 seconds but felt like 5 minutes. Out of no where I hear a voice, "Leave Him Alone" when I looked to my right there was a guy I meet yesterday in the shelter walking with another man. They began running towards us and the two men who were attempting to rob me took off. I was very grateful for the timing of the two men that ultimately stopped a situation that could have been a lot worst. Only 2 blocks from the shelter the two men (one who is K who sleeps on mat 33 and I am 35 we became cool instantly) explained to me that the two thieves were homeless men as well who had been kicked out of the shelter for stealing other's belongings and they basically survive of robbing other homeless individuals...well not today!

I have a small knot on the back of my head from being hit, nothing I can't walk off.

Although this situation was somewhat scary it was a real experience that these individuals have to deal with on a regular.

The main thing that was mind boggling...this happened at about 2:40pm smh in the daytime..I expected at least at night.

S/O to K I'm have to give him my dessert at dinner to show him my appreciation for his great timing.

10 comments:

  1. Can't no one tell me God dnt show up and show out at the RIGHT time! I thank God that he sent those men as your shield of protection.

    Chanynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please be careful and stay safe!!! Praying for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I will come get you at anytime dr.t

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not the backpack bro! lol glad everything is ok, GOD is definitely on your side.

    Stay Strong! AyA

    ReplyDelete
  5. DARIUS!! Please be careful! -Tiffany Leschke

    ReplyDelete
  6. WTF!!!! SH7P! IF THAT HAPPENS AGAIN MAN IM COMING TO GET YOU!!!! NO DISCUSSION!!!!! BE CAREFUL!!! '06

    ReplyDelete
  7. D b careful love aunt lisa

    ReplyDelete
  8. First I would like to say what you're doing is EXTREMELY admirable. I remember us having a discussion about what we eventually wanted to do. Here you are a step closer. I'm glad you went out there with an open mind and open heart. You also went out there wearing the armor or God. He watches his servants backs. Keep on working toward your goal, YOU WILL GET THERE.

    ReplyDelete